Marbella

Many years ago in college, Paula and I had traveled to Marbella but it was the shoulder season and I honestly didn't have too many fond memories of this area.  Obviously it was over-shadowed by Seville because Marbella is truly lovely!  I intended the one night stop as an opportunity to just relax at the beach, but it was more than that. The drive was over mountains just bypassing Rhonda, where Jeff and I had visited in 2013. As you get closer to Marbella, you start to see amazing and enormous villas hugging the mountainside.  I could live here!

Top of the mountain
Beautiful Views
Lovely Villa

This was my favorite hotel of the trip in Spain!  Wow!  I had low expectations due to the only picture being that of a tiny pool, so maybe that makes a difference.  My hotelier owned multiple properties in Marbella and I was lucky enough to be staying in the hotel lobby house just upstairs from the main entrance.  You can see the bougainvillea that marks the entrance to the hotel.  My room was directly above the front entrance and enveloped by beautiful purple flowers.  I had a nice queen size bed, an amazing bathroom, beautiful amoire with TV and other things that I didn’t need. I had intentionally booked in the Old Town which I am convinced is the place to be no matter what city or country you are visiting.  Getting to La Villa Marbella was challenging in a much different way - it is in a pedestrian only area of town! After multiple drive-bys, I found the closest parking lot and walked to the office. Juan greeted me and then walked me back to the car, parked it in the proper garage and then carried my bag up for me!  What a nice place!


I loved the pedestrian streets with cafes and outdoor dining.  I enjoyed the local tapas and drinks scene.  As I had learned in Granada, when you order a glass of wine in Spain, you automatically get a small tapas plate.  With as much as I drink, all I needed to do was order wine and eat the tapas and I was all set for the evening! This was what I expected of the Andalusian hill towns but found instead at the ritzy southern coast. One of my Spanish immersion options is Seville, which would allow me to explore some more of Andalusia in 2018!
My dining location

I love the intricate 'rock carpets' that you see all over southern Spain, but perhaps the most amazing site was found traveling on the way to the airport!  Now that is an expert packing job!  It was now time to say goodbye to Spain and head back home to the US to get back to traveling with Sally and Betty (and Jeff).

So Long Spain!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Golden Gate Bridge and Surrounds

And then it hit me...This is Retirement!?

Santa Barbara